cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Internet outages - not resolved

I'm subscribed to Mediacom "Internet 200" service (cable modem, internet only) and have had no luck in getting a problem with intermittent short-duration (1 to 3 minute) outages resolved. The frequency of dropouts fluctuates, from 2 to 12 times during a working day. I have stats recorded from running a simple "ping" script every 5s to a logfile to monitor the dropouts and duration. During the workday, this is particularly annoying, as it will interrupt a lot of WFH video/audio chats and remote sessions.

I've had multiple tech visits, each one saying they've "replaced something outside and the signal looks better now" - but the problem remains.

I've swapped out an older Arris modem for a MB8600, but no improvement. I'm using Google Nest Wifi routers and Wifi points (and added a couple more points to rule that out)

I suspect that the issue is either:

1. Street to house connection: this is a buried cable to the side of the house, or

2. house to modem connection: the previous house owner had a ton of old cables run for satellite TV, coax, and phone - probably 5-10 years old

However - the problem could also be external (the terminal post does look like it was tipped over in the past).

What's my best course of action in getting this resolved?

9 REPLIES 9

MediacomSean
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello MimsyBorogroves. I apologize for the issue you are having and will be happy to help. Please send an email with your account information to Totalcare@mediacomcc.com, and we will assist you.

Thanks @MediacomSean - I've send an email.

ADiephuis

For about a month I've been experiencing connection issues with my internet. My connection won't drop entirely but will see random packet loss throughout each day. I had a technician come over, replace most of my cabling inside and outside, and set up a new modem. After the technician leaves, I notice the same issues are still occuring. I call and have another technician visit a week later. This one insists the connection to the internet is perfect, despite me showing him in real-time, packet loss from ping tests in my computer's command prompt. He suggests it could be a routing problem and may be resolved on its own in a couple of weeks. After he leaves I decided to run a tracert command to test further for issues (shouldn't this be his job?). This is where I notice issues with the second hop (Mediacom's IP). I ping this IP and see the same packet loss I've been seeing when I did similar tests earlier. Am I wrong in concluding that there is an issue here in the connection between myself and Mediacom? What do I have to do to get this rectified? I really don't want to call another tech here if it isn't going to go anywhere.

Hello ADiephuis. I have merged your topic with a similar service-related topic in order to help expedite your resolution based on the existing reply from our team. If you need any additional help, please let us know.