cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overages and dropped signal

Clcole
Visitor

Since April I have had outrageous overages. Like talking $100 in overage fees. I’ve contacted Mediacom over and over and over again about it, and the only thing they can tell me is just hope for the best next month that it doesn’t happen. I need help and idea on what I can do? I’ve disconnected devices and it just gets worse honestly. 

then on top of all that my internet stops working every single day. It’s to the point I’m just fed up. I’m fed up that Mediacom also refuses to even try and work with me. From other posts it’s the router I’m assuming, but why have I paid over $300 for a router that doesn’t last? 

5 REPLIES 5

MediacomVic
Community Manager
Community Manager

These are my proposed suggestions based on your description to help with the usage issue:-

1. Take a closer look at your router data and narrow down what devices are responsible for the most data use and what new habits can curtail that issue
  2. Keep Wifi secure by changing the SSID + PWD every six months
  3. Run a virus/malware scan regularly
  4. Try a different Modem or Gateway
  5. Ensure unused apps and streaming devices (Fire sticks, Roku, etc.) are turned off and not running in the background.
  6. Choose a lower Streaming/Gaming resolution.
  7. Upgrade to a higher tier speed level in the interim while you work on remedying your usage issues. It would be much cheaper to go up a speed level with a bigger usage allowance than paying $10 overages for every block of 50GB.

Regarding the internet stoppages, do you mind sharing with this community your router model, some logs, and a detailed description of the issue so we can try to find a resolution together?

regarding your suggestions above can you tell me how to see which device is using how much of the data connection please and do you have to be on your network to access that information thank you

I am having this same problem.  Unexplained huge increase in data usage.  My questions:  How do I look at router data?

MediacomVic
Community Manager
Community Manager

The most accurate way to monitor this is your router/gateway itself. All the devices on your network connect to the Internet through your router, so this is the single point where bandwidth usage and data transfers can be monitored and logged.

Not all routers allow you to view usage, and some higher-end routers offer the ability to keep track of how much data you’ve uploaded and downloaded each month, but they don’t necessarily provide per-device bandwidth status-viewing or a per-device data usage history.

The good news here is Mediacom rents out our state-of-the-art (EERO), also called (WiFi360pro), which includes 2 EERO units and EERO Secure for only $10 per month plus tax. With EERO Secure, you can see how much data each connected device on your network uses over a single day, week, or month - current and previous. Visibility into your data usage over time makes it easy to identify trends and anomalies even if you are away from home.

If you are interested in adding the EERO device:-  https://shop.mediacomcable.com/?id=

Info on usage within EERO is avail here:- https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/360049161231-Understanding-Your-Network-Data-Usage