cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devices that use 2.4ghz drop connection

Nova36
Visitor

About 2 weeks ago all the devices in my house that use 2.4ghz stopped staying connected. If I restart the modem or the eero device they stay connected for maybe an hour or two then they stop and won’t reconnect. My signal is excellent and the 5g is fine. I have only had the eero devices for maybe 2 months but hadn’t had any issues until lately. I am thinking either a recent update made them stop working or there is something wrong with them. Has anyone had this issue that can help? 

10 REPLIES 10

Nova36
Visitor

I did not have any solution to my problem I had to solve it myself. I was on the phone with customer service multiple days and had a tech come to the house and he couldn’t fix it. I ended up just getting my own modem and router combo and now everything is fine because I have WiFi connection through that with its own wifi name and a separate WiFi connection/name through the eero devices. I can connect the devices that need 2.4ghz to the modem I purchased. The Eeros have issue’s because they decide the frequency and radio channels they are on. The crappy thing is that in order to get a break on your monthly bill you have to sign up for internet with the Eero. I almost dropped Mediacom over this issue.

Thanks for posting again @Nova36 and I am sorry to hear you were unable to find a solution without utilizing other equipment. The settings in the app should be able to manage your connection and ultimately resolve the issue. I also just replied prior to your response and mentioned disabling another setting that may impact the intermittent connectivity of the 2.4Ghz-only devices. 

Thank you. I had  previously disabled the WPA3 setting and that did not solve the issue. It is still set to off. I even picked up new Eero devices from my local office and still had the same issue with 2.4ghz. I tried only connecting certain devices to it to see if maybe one of my devices was causing the problem and that didn’t make a difference. I have trouble shot everything I can think of. The 5ghz works great but from my experience the Eero doesn’t put out a reliable 2.4ghz connection. 

Thanks for that info, @Nova36 .Unfortunately we are not aware of any confirmed known issues that would cause that, so hopefully there is an update in the future or direct contact with Eero support may be required in order to fully resolve the equipment/settings issues with the Eero equipment. As @JDB-123  mentioned having the same problems and is not using Eero, I would speculate that this may be a problem with the newer Wi-Fi technology being made available. As you mentioned the cause of the hiccups with devices seem to be that they are trying to adaptively switch between bands and are unable to since this seems to only affect the 2.4GHz limited devices and not others.

JDB-123
Visitor

Indeed I'm not using Eero, and my modem is a Sagemcom.

@MediacomTom The other day when my 2.4 band Wifi went down again I noticed that both WPA and WPA2 were enabled. For security reasons I set this to WPA2 only and this also seems to have resolved my Wifi issues. The 2.4 band network hasn't gone down since. 

I don't see the correlation between the two but at least it works. I'm also not sure why by default WPA and WPA2 are enabled vs only WPA2.  Note that I already had different SSID's for the 2.4 and 5 Ghz Wifi so the devices don't switch networks.