cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CAREER CORNER: Being Laid Off Was the Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me

KerrySullivan

lay off.jpg

Years ago, in a dragging economy, my position was eliminated and I was laid off. And it was heartbreaking. I loved the company and work that I did and had much respect for my fellow colleagues. I was sad to leave this team.

This was also the first time I had ever been laid off. I was terrified. I did ALL of the things you are advised NOT to do. I panicked, ate an entire cheesecake, cashed out my 401K, and made plans on how I would take care of my cats when the time came that we would be homeless. So dramatic.

After my initial panic, I got my resume out there immediately, started calling upon my network, and kept a positive attitude. Within two weeks, I had had several promising interviews and an offer. But I didn't jump on it right away. I kept looking. I wanted my next opportunity to be the RIGHT opportunity. As it so happened, the stars aligned and I not only found my next position...I found my CALLING.

My life is service oriented. I love talking to and working with people. I love helping people meet their professional, educational, and personal goals. In my new position, I was able to do all of these things and more! This was an opportunity that I never would have known about or pursued had I not been looking for a new job. I didn't just find a new "job." I found my CAREER! In fact, I was much more effective in my new role BECAUSE I had experienced a lay-off and could help and guide others through the experience.

Sometimes, we just have to breathe. Sometimes, we just have to trust that if we stay positive and focused our efforts will be rewarded. If you have an unexpected twist-remain calm, stay positive, better times are ahead.

I think I'll go have a piece of cheesecake.

Original Article: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/being-laid-off-best-thing-ever-happened-me-kerry-a-sullivan-cdf/?trac... 

0 REPLIES 0