cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devices that use 2.4ghz drop connection

Nova36
Visitor

About 2 weeks ago all the devices in my house that use 2.4ghz stopped staying connected. If I restart the modem or the eero device they stay connected for maybe an hour or two then they stop and won’t reconnect. My signal is excellent and the 5g is fine. I have only had the eero devices for maybe 2 months but hadn’t had any issues until lately. I am thinking either a recent update made them stop working or there is something wrong with them. Has anyone had this issue that can help? 

10 REPLIES 10

MediacomTom

Hello Nova36, Thanks for posting about your issues and I would like to know a few more things to see if this can be narrowed down. First, are the 2.4GHz devices you are noticing a problem with a specific brand or series of devices by chance? When the 2.4GHz devices go offline, are you still able to view or connect to the 2.4GHz network using another device(even a 5G enabled one)? To disable the Eero 5G temporarily in order to test the 2.4GHz manually with another device you would need to log into the Eero app and go to: "Settings > Troubleshooting > 'My device won't connect', then tapping on the "Temporarily pause 5GHz" button. This will disable 5GHz for 10 minutes.." 

Nova36
Visitor

Thank you for replying. The devices that are disconnecting are a mix of brands and types. Roku, Doorbell, Kindle and PlayStation 4. I am not able to connect any of these devices to the 2.4ghz when I pause the 5ghz like you mentioned either. When I pause the 5ghz all other devices disconnect they do not switch to 2.4ghz. 

JDB-123
Visitor

I just want to add that I'm having the same issue at the moment. I did add two new devices that are connected to the 2.4 Ghz band network yesterday (two smart lights from Philips Wiz) and ever since that ALL the devices that connect to this band drop their connections every few hours. If I reset the modem or if I go to the modem settings page and turn the 2.4 Ghz band off / on it works again for a few hours. 

The 5 Ghz band has no issues at all.

@Nova36  did you have any luck solving this issue? @MediacomTom  any updates from your end ?

Thanks for replying, @JDB-123. If you are also or still having difficulties with 2.4Ghz-only devices there may be some additional settings you can modify or try changing as this problem seems to be device-specific with 2.4Ghz/5Ghz/6E compatibility in general. Another suggestion I found is that you can try disabling WPA3. As @Nova36 currently uses our Eero wireless solution, you can do this by going into your Eero App>Discover>Eero Labs> WPA3 and you can toggle that to see if there is any immediate improvement with the affected 2.4Ghz-only devices.