cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv4 speeds 4x slower than IPv6

BigDad_61
Trailblazer lvl7

I have 1-Gigabit Mediacom broadband service.  I use my own Netgear Nighthawk R-7000 router connected to a Hitron CODA-5519 DOCSIS 3.1 modem (rented from Mediacom).  The router firmware version is V1.0.11.216_10.2.122 (latest version); however, I have tested the router with earlier versions.

When testing internet download speeds using an ethernet connection, IPv4 speeds are always about 4x slower than IPv6 speeds.  IPv4 download speeds tested using Mediacom’s test site (IpV4 only), mLab (IPv4 or IpV6),  Ookla (IPv4 or IPv6), or Xfinity (IPv4 or IPv6) are usually about 100 – 125 Mbps through the router.  Upload speeds are always similar for both IPv4 and IPv6 at around 60 Mbps.  Wi-fi displays the same behavior on both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.  If I bypass the router, the IPv4 download speed is 900 Mbps.

I have a laptop running WIN 11 Pro and desktop running Win 10 pro.  Both display the same behavior.  Also the same for wi-fi on a Samsung S8 tablet.

Google searches have not provided me with much info except that IPv4 speeds and IPv6 download speeds should not be that different.  Mediacom tech support is not familiar with the issue.

Is the above behavior to be expected or can it be explained?  Might upgrading to a wi-fi 6 router solve this problem?

2 REPLIES 2

Bon3fish
Mentor lvl9

I don't know if this will improve performance, but you can try setting your router IPv6 connection type to "Tunnel 6 to 4." This was a solution when IPv6 was first deployed.  

Changed IPv6 to "Tunnel 6 to 4."  No change in IPv4 speed.  Returned IPv6 to DHCP.