cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redirecting 192.168.0.1 to mediacomcable.com?

rchapman
Luminary lvl8

Has anybody encountered similar behavior? Lately (but not always), when I try to access settings of my Hitron modem/router (purchased directly from Mediacom) via its IP address (192.168.0.1), Mediacom immediately redirects the URL to a Mediacom login page (https://sso.mediacomcable.com/idp/SSO.saml2). After login to my account, it continues to a Mediacom Control Panel page (https://homewifi.mediacomcable.com/prime-home/control-panel/login/) with the message "ERROR: This device could not be found." I can no longer access my router's settings page from any device, though I have done so in the past, such as it to change its password. Is there any way to prevent that redirect by Mediacom?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MediacomTom_

Hello rchapman. Thanks for posting your question. Since you purchased your modem the only reason you would be redirected to the HomeWifi manager page would be due to the free wireless networking service still being active on your account. This is enabled by default and can be requested to be removed at any time. Once that is removed you may need to do a factory reset on your modem and you will then have GUI access moving forward and able to log into it to modify settings as needed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MediacomTom_

Hello rchapman. Thanks for posting your question. Since you purchased your modem the only reason you would be redirected to the HomeWifi manager page would be due to the free wireless networking service still being active on your account. This is enabled by default and can be requested to be removed at any time. Once that is removed you may need to do a factory reset on your modem and you will then have GUI access moving forward and able to log into it to modify settings as needed.

MediacomTom, thanks for that explanation. If "free wireless networking service" is still active, why doesn't the "HomeWifi manager page" see the modem/router? Is that the same as the Mediacom Control Panel page that I cited in my inquiry as showing the error message? That's where I'm redirected from 192.168.0.1 (after logging in). How was I able to access that router's settings in the past, such as to change its password?

In short, it is a multi-step process to get the Home Network manager wireless settings enabled. Although the wireless networking flag on the account activates the modem to have access to the home network manager service and even pushes it to go to that page, the modem would still need to be registered within the home network manager system to allow settings to be changed and configured on that modem using that service. How it went for so long with you having access to the GUI I wouldn't be able to explain outside of it being that way unintentionally until the system eventually caught up to it. Once we remove the flag and reset the modem you should regain access as you had previously.

Thanks again. I think I'll leave it as is for now, until I really need to access its settings for some reason. I recently just wanted to look up specs for the router, which I thought I might look up from it directly, but I found the manufacturer's datasheet instead to answer my question. This DOCSIS 3.0 router (960 Mbps download) is plenty fast for my account's plan of 250 Mbps. Incidentally, when I looked up my account's statement for that modem purchase, it was listed as "3.1 Modem Purchase," but they sent me this 3.0 modem instead. I didn't know any better at the time.