cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Intermittent Internet outages - not resolved

MimsyBorogroves
Visitor

I'm subscribed to Mediacom "Internet 200" service (cable modem, internet only) and have had no luck in getting a problem with intermittent short-duration (1 to 3 minute) outages resolved. The frequency of dropouts fluctuates, from 2 to 12 times during a working day. I have stats recorded from running a simple "ping" script every 5s to a logfile to monitor the dropouts and duration. During the workday, this is particularly annoying, as it will interrupt a lot of WFH video/audio chats and remote sessions.

I've had multiple tech visits, each one saying they've "replaced something outside and the signal looks better now" - but the problem remains.

I've swapped out an older Arris modem for a MB8600, but no improvement. I'm using Google Nest Wifi routers and Wifi points (and added a couple more points to rule that out)

I suspect that the issue is either:

1. Street to house connection: this is a buried cable to the side of the house, or

2. house to modem connection: the previous house owner had a ton of old cables run for satellite TV, coax, and phone - probably 5-10 years old

However - the problem could also be external (the terminal post does look like it was tipped over in the past).

What's my best course of action in getting this resolved?

9 REPLIES 9

j1983
Visitor

Piggybacking on this topic to report a similar issue here. My tracerts to google.com become a total mess of lost packets between steps 6 and 9 since early this week (but I was experiencing similar disconnections and latency spikes throughout the day in the months previous). I am quite sure none of those three steps are in my building so calling for another tech to come to my home isn't going to help me.

I simply can't stay connected to any kind of service on the internet like this.

Hello j1983. Thanks for posting about your concerns. Based on what you said the issue may be just outside of the Mediacom network. If you would like to email us with your details(+ traceroute etc) at TotalCare@MediacomCC.com we would be happy to see if there is anything we can do to help resolve this.

j1983
Visitor

I typed this once already but it appears the site ate it so doing it again with brevity:

I'm having a similar issue to those above. My tracert to google.com becomes a total mess of loss on steps 6 through 9. This has persisted all week but I have been struggling with intermittent packet loss and latency spikes (100ms through 1000ms) for months.

Steps 6 through 9 are not anywhere near my building so having a tech come out isn't going to help solve my problem. Help?

AngryMooseKnuck
Visitor

On off on off on off, fix your guys' **bleep**, all night my service keeps dropping and it was fine for WEEKS. What the absolute hell is going on? You guys are a MASS CORP, figure it out already. Your customer base deserves better than shoddy techs and worthless signal connection. Pathetic how much you make us pay for 'top quality' Internet and you can't even keep a stable connection consistently.

MediacomSean
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @AngryMooseKnuck. I apologize for the issue you are having and will be happy to help. Please email my team at Totalcare@mediacomcc.com, and we will assist you. Thank you- Sean